Archive | June 2011
paraphrased: "To find the meaning of life is to find the meaning of your everyday activities…"
I was reminded of this recently after speaking with a friend who is a successful entrepreneur. He was having a moment of burn out, the feeling that he's been working so hard for years to effectively stay in place. Knowing him well, I know it was only a temporary downturn, a moment of doubt that would pass. He loves what he's doing and wouldn't really be anywhere else doing anything else. But it did get me thinking. So many people I talk to seem to be very set on that big moment in the future…the big customer acquired, the big fundraising round, and of course the big exit. A lot of people I speak to are fixated on one or many of these events. But those are the 1% events, happening just every once in awhile. What about the other 99% of your time? Are you noticing that too? Are you doing what you can to appreciate the other 99% and all that it provides? The other 99% is life. So if you're heading into a startup fixated on what the 1% moments will mean to you, but dreading the 99% that it will take to get you there, you need to re-evaluate your path or your perspective.